The position: Research/Lab manager – Marine Turtle Research Group (FSU JOB ID 56116) . We seek an organized and enthusiastic Lab manager to manage several of the lab’s projects, which includes, but not limited to, assisting in preparation of budgets, tracking expenditures against budget projections, organizing, and managing associated datasets (QA and QC), and preparing interim and final research reports to funding agencies. The candidate will also be responsible for all the logistics involved with field activities, which includes booking travel and associated administration, assisting with preparation and maintenance of field gear and permit compliance and reporting. Field operations will be primarily related to marine turtle in-water projects, but the candidate will be expected to assist in other projects within the lab. The candidate will also have the opportunity to contribute to grant writing and publications. The initial appointment will be for one year, with renewal conditional upon performance and availability of funding. 50% of the time will be allocated to field work, 15% of the time will be allocated to field logistics, 10% of the time will be allocated to data and budgetary organization, and the remaining of the time will be allocated to specific projects related to the candidate’s interest.
- Master’s degree in the natural sciences (Preferred), may be substituted by a bachelor’s degree and extensive research experience (Required),
- Experience conducting field work with marine turtles (Desired),
- Experience handling small boats, including the ability to captain in weather conditions frequently encountered in coastal Florida (Required),
- Proven project and data management skills (Required),
- Proficiency in computational skills, including database management, and the use of R (Desired),
- Ability to supervise data entry and have QAQC experience (Required),
- Ability to collect data and maintain records precisely according to standardized protocol (Required),
- Demonstrated ability to deliver and communicate scientific results and concepts (Required),
- Valid driver’s license and ability to tow boats (Required),
- Ability to fly a drone (Desired).
To apply: Applications should be submitted through FSU’s job Portal. Review of applications will begin 01st November, 2023, until the positions are filled. Please submit a single pdf that includes: (1) cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position in relation to the required and desired skills; (2) statement of research interest; (3) a detailed curriculum vitae; and (4) names and contact information for three references. Further inquiries should be directed to Dr. Mariana Fuentes (firstname.lastname@example.org).